SCYDA Softball 2020
Photo Credit: Benji Johnson
Saturday, October 15, 2022
How the Softball Game started.
July 2014, Dr. Chris Houk approached Matthew Scott with the idea of having an event to raise diabetes awareness and money to benefit the South Carolina Youth Diabetes Association, or SCYDA. A softball game seemed like the perfect dea!.
Matthew reached out to MLB friends asking for help. Buddy Carlyle, Type 1 Diabetic and pitcher for the New York Mets, graciously agreed to come and play. Michael Taylor, Type 1 Diabetic and outfielder with the Charlotte Knights and Chicago White Sox agreed to an interview for the SCYDA game. Jordan Danks, Charlotte Knights and Chicago White Sox outfielder was interested in helping and sent a video wishing us good luck in our first game. And, Carlos Torres and Dylan Axelrod sent several autographed items for the silent auction.
The game and auction were successful! Everyone had fun, and we raised $895.00 for SCYDA. How many kids can say they spent a Saturday playing softball with an MLB pitcher? SCYDA softball is definitely one of the few perks of having Type 1 Diabetes.
October 15th, 2022
Game Day Schedule
Follow These Diabetic Athletes
1. Buddy Carlyle- Pitching Coordinator for LA Angels, former MLB Pitcher for Braves, Mets
2. Kyle Love- Former NFL DT
3. Michael Taylor- Former MLB OF
4. Jay Cutler- Former NFL QB
5. Mark Lowe- former MLB Pitcher
6. Brandon Morrow- former MLB Pitcher
7. Dustin McGowan- former MLB Pitcher
8. Ryan Reed- NASCAR Driver
10. Patrick Peterson- Vikings CB
11. Adam Duvall- Braves OF
12. Sam Fuld- Philadelphia Phillies General Manager
13. Scott Verplank- Pro Golf
14. Matthew Scott-SCYDA Softball Founder